Pages

Friday, May 29, 2015

The Hana Hou Journey

   As you all know I've been knitting a Hana Hou (starting with my handspun one, then moving onto the Bernat Baby Sport one) since March 2014. I loved the sweater that Mel, the designer, knit for the pattern, and I just needed one. I started with my handspun Hana Hou last year out of The Joyful Sheep "Zebra" but that got frogged (after much debate) because you just couldn't see the copycat stitch on the edgings or collar.  I then cast on another one in Bernat Baby Sport "White" for this year's Mel Ski KAL in the All in One Podcast group on Ravelry. This one is for my friend Grace of the Daisy Creations Designs podcast, because it turned out a bit too big for my liking. I am almost done with it, I have the collar and one sleeve done. All of the seams are sewn up. I was so  excited, so I tried it on... Let's just say, I will not be knitting another one.
   Now, I know that this one was too big for me to begin with, but the style just does not look good on me.
   So I am a girl who likes her tops/cardigans/sweaters nice and tailored and fitting, but I thought I needed a boxy cardigan. I thought that it would be great and I'd be all cute and whatnot... Mel, and her models, look amazing in their Hana Hou's, but I just cannot stand to even try it on again for Finished Object photos. I will be putting it on a hanger and then sending it off to live with Grace, never to be worn (by me) ever again. I told Grace straight up,  "If you did not want this sweater, I would literally just throw it in the trash can."
   My mom told me that it could also be the yarn, which is true. but the pattern is written for sport weight and that is what I used. Maybe it's the acrylic, I don't know, but I just wish that I loved the cardigan on me as much as I loved it in the pattern. (and on Mel, and on her model)
   Please, if you like boxy, open cardigans, go check out Hana Hou by Mel Ski on Ravelry. It's a gorgeous cardigan, and well worth the price! I think that I will knit one of Mel's more fitted sweaters, but honestly, I don't think that I will knit another boxy cardigan... Maybe ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment