Pages

Friday, January 20, 2017

Will I Ever Knit a Sweater that I Don't Have to Rip Out?

     If you've followed the blog for a while, then you know that I have started tons of sweaters. Okay... Like 10ish. But how many sweaters have I actually finished? 3. Out of all of the sweaters that I've started, I've finished four. And technically, one of them was still to big and the wrong dimensions because I can't leave well enough alone and messed that one up, and one was too small because I hate swatching. With my second Featherweight, I knit it in sport weight so technically I altered that too. So out of the three sweaters I've finished, I've only knit one according to pattern. ONE.  *sigh*


Attempt #1 or #2, I can't remember.

     The Hana Hou by Mel Ski was actually my first sweater. I was going to do it out of handspun and I was trying to alter the gauge to (what I thought) I would follow. It ended horrendously. Three times. Well, I didn't actually finish the sweater any of those times, but did I learn, no. I thought I could figure it out. Thankfully, Grace loves boxy sweaters and still enjoys it today.




     I realized last week that the Cozy Neighborhood that I started last summer for Grace's Christmas gift, Was too small. Barely, but enough that it wouldn't be flattering. I (again) was trying to alter the pattern fit because apparently I have little faith in designers actually knowing what their doing. (So NOT TRUE! I absolutely know that designers are the experts.) At first I did the extra-small size for the whole sweater (as much as I had knit anyway.) and this second time around I had done the medium for the shoulders and the extra small for the rest. I currently have a whole sweater body minus the bottom shaping, and of course, as fate would have it, I need to rip it out. I will be knitting the medium size the whole way this time. I will not alter it in any way, and I will put all of my trust into Joji Locatelli.

Take 1. I had to pray it would fit
on the hanger.
Current progress It's fitting!
      Did you think that was all? Haha. NO! I also had to restart the Serenity by Joji Locatelli. This error was a complete mistake though. When I started this sweater at Grace's house back in August, Grace had already started it but it needed fixed. As it turns out, she thought she had cast on with a size US 4(3.5mm) when in reality it was cast on with a US 3(3.25mm). Neither of us actually like to swatch by the way, can you tell? When I finally realized this, three inches past the armholes,, I decided to be a good knitter and swatch. I'm glad I did too because I didn't get gauge with fours either. I ended up casting back on with US 5(3.75mm) needles and am finally knitting a sweater that *should* fit her. On a good note, what took me a few months to knit has only taken me a week this time.

      Now, just because I've only technically knit one to pattern sweater, I am not discouraged. I have plenty of sweaters on the needles with plans to knit plenty more this year. I will not be deterred. Let's just hope I don't try and "fix" the patterns.


No comments:

Post a Comment